I’m passionate about photography, and have experimented with film cameras, point and shoots, DSLRs and digital video cameras for over 20 years.
As a communications professional, photography lets me explore visual communication and creativity in different ways, at and outside of work. As well as being a competent event photographer, I enjoy capturing images of cities and landscapes, nature, people and events. Please visit my Flickr feed.
- In 2014, I was inspired by the Humans of New York project and started my own 6-month photo-media project, Brisbanians – see related Brisbanians Facebook page to improve my street photography skills.
- In 2013, I was a volunteer photographer at the RSPCA’s headquarters at Wacol, where I photographed animals being prepared to be adopted out. The images were used on the RSPCA’s websites and social media sites.
- In July 2012, the Carl Zeiss Lens Team on Flickr sought my permission to use one of my travel photos in an upcoming Zeiss marketing campaign.
- Since 2011, I have inadvertently became the official photographer at each company I’ve worked with, shooting corporate portraits, covering internal and external company events and industry conferences.
- In 2010/11, I completed a 365 challenge (Part 1) (Part 2), where I took a photo every day for a year. I really enjoyed the challenge of pushing myself creatively and technically every day.
- I’m enthusiastic about the social aspect of photography, and regularly post photos on Flickr, Pinterest and Instagram. I engage actively in all of these communities, as it helps me to understand and test how these social media platforms can be used in a corporate/commercial way.
- In 2017, I scripted, edited and designed the set to create a range of videos like the video above, for use in my first online workshop product.
- In 2016, I wrote, recorded and produced an 8-part video series for a free 3-Minute Meditation Challenge I used as part of an opt-in for my Surplice of Spirit business. Within the first three days of its launch on Facebook, the first teaser video had over 2,500 views, 2,000 unique views and 100 sign ups to the challenge. This evergreen series of content continues to drive traffic and email signups in an extremely cost effective way.
- In 2014, I worked with TechnologyOne’s lead graphic designer and an external agency to script, storyboard and produce four corporate videos which were displayed on a 20 metre wide screen in front of 1,600 people at Evolve 2014, the company’s biennial user conference.
- As well as still photography, I’m personally interested in time lapse work, and have experimented with this medium. This time lapse video of Dicky Beach is an example of my time lapse work.
- I was commissioned to write a series of articles about travelling with video recorders in Arctic conditions by Video Camera Magazine, and collaborated with Canon to use one of their high-end digital video cameras for the series.
- During the period I was freelance writing, I wrote regular articles for Video Camera Magazine, where I regularly reviewed video editing software, and wrote features about stop motion animation, travel video and photography, and related topics.
- Experienced photographer with working knowledge of natural light and flash photography
- Experienced in a range of genres including corporate event photography, landscape photography, travel photography, street photography, portraiture and macro
- Proficient in image management and image manipulation software including Camera Raw, Adobe Bridge, Adobe Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC
- Familiar with stock image libraries such as Flickr, Redbubble, Dreamstime, iStockphoto, Getty Images
- Familiar with stock video and audio libraries such as iStock, Audio Jungle
- Experienced in creating photography briefs for other photographers in order to meet corporate objectives
- Strong appreciation of the importance of photography and imagery in visual communications
- Strong interest in video and all forms of multimedia, and the ability to develop creative briefs for external suppliers